Friday, September 24, 2010

Never in my life...

have I thought I'd ever pay AU$25.50 for a plate of fried rice.

(That's 75 FREAKIN RINGGIT for those of you reading this from home!!)

But being a little sick of angmoh food as well as of dining at Milano's (especially after my disappointingly overcooked rib eye fillet last Friday) and having a hankering for something that appealed more to my Asian tastebuds, I went for the Balinese Nasi Goreng on the menu after seating ourselves down at Jimmy's on The Mall. (Eddie opted for the classic fish n'chips.)

Ordering nasi goreng in an angmoh café-styled restaurant in an angmoh country, I definitely didn't have very high expectations of the dish.



But I was in for a surprising treat.

The dish came in a generous portion and was chock-full of flavour and colours (which is how I like my food to be- I must. have. colours. in my food!). They were extremely generous with the good stuff to the point where there was almost more 料 than rice, a nice difference from the fried rice you get in restaurants/kopitiams back home which tend to skimp on the ingredients. Every greasy mouthful was a delightful burst of flavours accented with bits of chicken and lots of shrimp and veggies, and the fried egg that accompanied the rice was sunny-sided-up to perfection with the yolk slightly gooey.

In addition (probably in the attempt to please the angmoh palate), they had thoughtfully placed the cili potong on the side rather than heap it on top of the rice, which was great for me as I don't really take spicy food.

I wolfed down every bit of my rice, licked the plate clean, and wished there were more.

Who would've thought the most satisfying fried rice I've ever had would be in Australia? :)